At Pizzeria Prima Strada, we’ve always done our best to be respectful of the environment. It’s one of our core values.
In 2014, we asked ourselves could we be doing more for the environment and could we be doing it better? PPS committed to work with Victoria based Synergy Enterprises to understand and reduce both our emissions and carbon footprint. Because being sustainable means more than just recycling our paper and composting our waste.
After reviewing our operations, Synergy came back with great suggestions for PPS to implement. The result? We changed our purchasing, infrastructure and most importantly, our behaviour. We got better.
As members of the Food Eco District in Victoria and the Vancouver Island Green Business Certificate program, the team at PPS strives to develop new ways to reduce our carbon footprint and continue to be a leading sustainable business in the food and beverage industry on Vancouver Island.
- Gold Level and ‘Surfrider’ approved status with Vancouver Island Green Business Certificate (2016 – 2018).
- Food Eco District Member (2016 & 2017).
- NEW garden boxes in Cobble Hill! Our kitchen team proudly grow and use their own fresh herbs!
- Recycling water initiative in the outdoor water fountain in Cobble Hill will reduce overall consumption dramatically.
- PPS Cobble Hill implemented carbon footprint reduction strategies when opening and successfully achieved the lowest tCO2e/sq. ft. to date.
- Constant improvements to PPS’s recycling program has lead to an overall waste diversion rate of 98%.
- Waste and compost from our wood ovens is used by staff in local gardens.
- Annual participation in Earth Day Clean up in Downtown Victoria in collaboration with the Victoria Sustainability Tourism Alliance.
- Increased staff participation in BC Transit Pro Pass program.
- We love biking, running, hiking, jumping and promote health in wellness in almost everything we do. We’re ‘Powered by Pizza’!
There’s always more to be done. PPS’ core values – to relentlessly strive for improvement and respect the community and environment we live in – always keep us aware and looking for ways to be better. We will continue to think green, show initiative in the community and most important of all – will continue to make award winning wood-fired pizza!